The Solitaire

PETA’s New Language

PETA has been working for years to end animal abuse, but in someways, people feel they have gone too far.

In the past few years, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) have worked to change the way animals are treated in today’s world. PETA started a movement to try and change how people talk about animals. It is an association that works to establish defend the rights of all animals across the world, according to peta.org. Through their social media platforms, they have let the world know what they want to be changed.

PETA
PETA has started a campaign to change common phrases so people change the way they speak about animals.

Recently, PETA has asked people to reword metaphorical phrases that have a negative connotation towards animals to ones that have a positive connotation towards animals.

“Words matter, and as our understanding of social justice evolves, our language evolves along with it,” PETA said via Twitter. “Here’s how to remove speciesism from your daily conversation.”

While PETA thinks these efforts will have a huge change in the way people talk, others believe it will not have a big effect on the world. Many are skeptical of the efforts they have made and thinks there could be other things that would be more effective.

“I think the most important thing people can do for animals isn’t something silly like that, it’s taking the time to directly affect animal rights like not visiting zoos or circuses, and making a goal to eat one day a week meatless,” Hammond said.

• PETA’s New Language

News

A Border Issue

• PETA’s New Language

News

The New Barbie in Town

• PETA’s New Language

News

Out of this World

• PETA’s New Language

News

A New Approach to Plastic

• PETA’s New Language

News

Coming to America

• PETA’s New Language

News

A Revolutionary Rover

• PETA’s New Language

News

The Attack on News

• PETA’s New Language

News

Checking Trump-isms

• PETA’s New Language

News

Viewpoint: Episode 2

• PETA’s New Language

News

Viewpoint: Episode 1

The student publication of Fort Zumwalt West High School
PETA’s New Language