The student publication of Fort Zumwalt West High School

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

Frigid Conditions

Blankets are encouraged to stay out of school
Junior Amber Zhu curls up with a blanket in the hallway.

As winter conditions hit the area, some students have resorted to new ways to keep warm. Typically, some students would bring in blankets to wear during class or in the hallways. In previous years, this was allowed, but this year, the school has issued a new request: blankets should not be worn during school.

Some students were confused by the new rule, seeing as it was allowed in previous years

“I feel like they should be allowed,” junior Kaylee Kirkman said. “For some people, they make us feel safe and comfortable.”

The reason for the change is due to concern that the blankets would become a distraction during class. They can also be considered hazardous and dirty by being on the floor of the hallways and classrooms.

“I see where the school is coming from,” Kirkman said. “I think they should be allowed in a teacher’s classroom, but not in the hallways because they get chaotic.”

The blankets that students bring in were occasionally found on the floors and around food during lunch. The blankets were subjected to unsanitary conditions by being at school, so it was decided that students should leave them at home.

“I’ve had multiple teachers mention that they’re a distraction in class,” Principal Edward Dreyer said. “You see them on the floor or at lunch. The cleanliness became a problem with drinks and such.”

Although blankets are no longer allowed, there still are ways for students to keep warm. It is recommended that they dress appropriately for the weather by wearing sweatshirts, sweatpants or jackets when it is cold.

“If there is an issue [with the cold], they could speak to me or their counselor and we would figure it out,” Dreyer said. “If someone was cold, we’d give them a sweatshirt to wear.”

To reiterate, blankets are encouraged to be left at home and/or out of the school building, but the request stretches only that far. Students are allowed to bring and wear blankets on bus rides to and from school if they need to, but the blankets need to be put away before they get into the building.