The student publication of Fort Zumwalt West High School

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

A Hero’s Journey

Review of Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Photo by David Bukach/Disney/TNS
Walker Scobell as Percy in Disney’s “Percy Jackson and the Olympians.”

“Percy Jackson and the Olympians,” based on the book series of the same name by Rick Riordan, was released weekly on Disney+, with the first episode debuting on Dec. 19, 2023. With 572 million minutes viewed during its debut week, it out-performed almost every live-action debut in 2023. This makes the TV show one of the best adaptations of the book series, following the Broadway musical version and the not-so-well-received Century Fox movies, according to screenrant.com.

Plot (4/5)
The story follows 12 year old Percy Jackson, who gets expelled from his school after pushing a bully into a water fountain and being attacked by a winged creature posing as his teacher. He is forced to find sanctuary at ”Camp Half-Blood,” a safe haven for demigods, or children born from a human and a god. After discovering his father is the sea god Poseidon, Percy is sent on a quest to stop war from breaking out between the gods, accompanied by his two fellow campers, Grover Underwood and Annabeth Chase, according to imbd.com.

The plot is thrilling, with a perfect mixture of comedy and action, keeping the viewer enthralled with every twist and turn. There are even many times where the show is educational, teaching fans about Greek history and mythology, with a few easter eggs for those who are already well-acquainted with the myths. However, as an eight episode show trying to fit in 416 pages of content, the plot felt rushed in some places, leaving scenes vague and important information unexplained. In all, though, every episode kept me on the edge of my seat, ready to see the next installment of Percy and his friends’ adventure.

“They sped up the pace a little bit at different times,” junior Isabelle Bender said. “It made me think: they could have spent a little more time here and this episode could have been longer.”

Characters (5/5)
“Percy Jackson and the Olympians” offered complex, fleshed out characters in every age range. Each character made me sympathize with them, especially with each person’s heavy backstory. When 12 year old Annabeth Chase was explaining her upbringing, a runaway at just seven years old, it pulled on my heartstrings. Then, when Percy’s mother Sally lamented about her wishes for her son to have a normal, happy childhood, I felt the same sympathy. The range in which the characters showed their struggles was expertly written, in a way where each person felt real.

Furthermore, the relationships between characters were perfectly portrayed. For example, when Percy arrives at camp and meets Luke Castellan, the viewer is able to see how Luke interacts with each camper, introducing them to Percy and, in extension, us as the audience, in a way that does not seem to force-feed information.

Soundtrack (5/5)
The soundtrack of the show is easily one of the best parts. The show includes an entire album of new, specifically tailored pieces, such as the most popular track, “The Sea Does Not Like to be Restrained,” which is titled after a quote pulled from the books themselves. The music also expands each scene and transports watchers into the world of “Percy Jackson.” The songs capture the overall themes of the show—honor, virtue and belonging—and use them to set each moment of Percy’s adventures apart from the other, building the tension at the same time. With an air of epicness that reflects the epics written by the Ancient Greeks, the soundtrack expertly brings the reader into the world of gods, monsters and heroes.

Book Accuracy (3/5)
The first season of the Disney+ show was the most recent adaptation of Riordan’s book series, contending with the previous film adaptations that were not welcomed by fans. The main reason for the movies’ criticism was that they strayed too far from the original works, barely following the original plot. The movies were so harshly judged due to this that the author himself bashed it on social media.

On the other hand, the new TV show promised to stick to the story, and they followed through. With Riordan as one of the executive producers on the show, Percy’s story remained largely unchanged. However, the few changes that were made on the new show left viewers irritated.

“They mentioned new things, like the summer solstice passing, and it made me say, ‘What are you talking about? This was never mentioned,’” Bender said. “There were also parts that were left out that I only noticed once people started pointing it out, though, and I forgot they were even in the book. I was still very much entertained, so it didn’t really matter.”

Overall (4/5)
In all, “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” met the high expectations set for its release. From complex characters to enthralling music, the Disney+ adaptation has set its audience on the edge of their seat in anticipation for the next season, which will follow the events of the second book. The show did Percy’s story justice, and even with some small issues with pacing and book accuracy, I was left thrilled watching the young hero’s story.