The student publication of Fort Zumwalt West High School

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

Marvel’s Mayhem with Majors

The MCU’s Phase Six gamble
Jonathan Majors attends the 95th Academy Awards at the Dolby Theatre on March 12, 2023, in Los Angeles. (Allen J. Schaben/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), celebrated for its meticulous planning, faces unanticipated challenges with Jonathan Majors, the actor playing Kang the Conqueror. Legal issues have prompted Marvel Studios to reassess the Phase Six plans, originally positioning Kang as the next major antagonist. As allegations of extreme abuse against Majors surface, Marvel is forced to explore unexpected developments and a realignment considering not only Kang’s fate, but also the potential introduction of Doctor Doom, according to rollingstone.com.

Insider details from Joanna Robinson, a respected Vanity Fair writer and author of “The Reign of Marvel Studios,” disclose that, originally, Phases Five and Six did not intend to heavily feature Kang. However, Marvel Studios executives changed direction after being impressed by Majors’ performance in “Loki” and the footage from “Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania.” This strategic shift, initially bold, now exemplifies a significant risk for Marvel.

Robinson emphasizes that Marvel Studios has never leaned so heavily on a single actor like with Jonathan Majors. Kang, intended to be the MCU’s anchor after the original six Avengers departure, now places the studio in an unexpected issue due to Majors’ legal troubles, spotlighting an unforeseen reliance on a singular performer.

“I would argue more than Downey as Iron Man, more than Brolin as Thanos, that hanging everything on this guy is then going to pop up in all of their properties leading up to something called The Kang Dynasty has put them in a very unusual position. “They don’t usually hang this much on one person in the way that they did here,” Robinson said, according to collider.com.

Marvel Studios grapples with whether to recast Jonathan Majors as Kang for Phase Six. Internal disagreements and conflicting reports add complexity to the decision-making process. The uncertainty surrounding Kang’s character, initially not slated for such prominence, sheds light on Marvel Studios’ post-Infinity Saga creative process.

Amidst Kang’s uncertainty, Marvel Studios is reportedly considering Doctor Doom as the main antagonist for Phase Six. Discussions involve acclaimed actors Mads Mikkelsen or Cillian Murphy for the iconic role of Doctor Doom. This potential shift adds an extra layer of complexity to Marvel’s decision-making, offering a look into the studio’s contingency plans.

“Doctor Doom would be a good replacement,” junior Dylan Hollis said. “They would need to push up the Fantastic Four as a way to bridge from the current MCU timeline with Kang, to one where Doom is powerful enough to threaten the Avengers.”

Marvel Studios finds itself in unfamiliar territory, navigating consequences tied to Jonathan Majors’ role in Phase Six. As they chart the best path forward, Kang the Conqueror’s fate remains uncertain. Marvel’s ability to address this unprecedented challenge not only shapes Phase Six’s success but also underscores their commitment to the MCU’s integrity amid unexpected hurdles, with Doctor Doom looming on the horizon.