The student publication of Fort Zumwalt West High School

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

Cat Comeback

A new vaccine helps cats live longer
Photo by pixabay.com
A veterinarian administers medicine to a kitten.

The Food and Drug Administration approved Elanco’s Varenzin-CA1, a treatment that helps fight against chronic kidney disease (CKD) in cats, in May 2023. While cats typically live for 12-18 years, with this new medication, they can start to live longer lives, according to fda.gov.

One of the main causes for cat deaths is CKD. This disease can be caused by any infection,
bacteria, inflammation, damage, cancers or built up protein in the kidney. CKD causes nonregenerative anemia, which happens because the kidney is not producing enough erythropoietin (EPO). Without EPO, cats bone marrow produces less red blood cells, limiting oxygen flow to the blood, according to fda.gov.

While there are some treatments for CKD, there is not an official cure. Varenzin-CA1 is the first medication to get approved that helps cats produce EPO, according to fda.gov.

After getting approved for Varenzin-CA1 by a veterinarian, using it is simple. Shake the bottle and use a syringe nozzle to extract some of the liquid, then place the syringe in the cat’s mouth for them to drink. The medication is used daily, and the amount needed depends on the cat’s weight, according to my.elanco.com.

The treatment’s side effects are vomiting, increase in systolic blood pressure and mild transient increase in serum potassium. It should also not be used on pregnant or breeding cats and should be used cautiously for cats with seizures, according to my.elanco.com.