The Solitaire

Who Represents Us in Government

Read next...
Madelyn Bourgoine

More stories from Madelyn Bourgoine

The 134 Million Man
September 10, 2018
Wrong or Right to Work
September 6, 2018

Midterm elections are approaching, so there is no better time to become more involved in politics. Here is an outline of who represents Missouri in government.

While the talk of the presidential election is starting to die down, conversations over the 2018 senatorial midterm elections across the country have begun. 33 states are having elections, with 23 seats being held by Democrats, eight seats held by Republicans and two seats being held by independents. One of these Democratic seats is held by Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill, who is running for re-election in November. She has represented Missouri since she was first elected in 2006 and is attempting to serve a third term in the United States Senate. For Missouri especially, it can be difficult for Democrats to gain control in a Republican-controlled state. This election will be one of many tests to see if the Democratic Party can maintain representation in Congress with numerous amounts of seats up for grabs.

“Missouri is going to be an interesting place to watch this midterm election season,” National Public Radio host Rachel Martin said. “The Democratic incumbent is Senator Claire McCaskill. While many predict a big wave year for Democrats this year, McCaskill is seen as vulnerable because Donald Trump won her state by an unexpectedly easy 19 points in 2016.”

In the 2016 presidential election, Missouri’s voter turnout was approximately 67 percent, according to the Topeka Capital Journal. However, presidential elections usually reap higher voter turnouts than congressional elections, so it is not certain that there will be the same results this fall. Despite this trend, citizens across Missouri can increase voter turnout by partaking in their civic duty as Americans and voicing their opinions in this election. As long as students are 18 by the time of the election, which is Nov. 6, they are eligible to vote. The voter registration deadline is Oct. 10. Students can register to vote by mail to a local county clerk or in-person at a local Department of Revenue office, according to the Missouri DMV.

“Other eligible students should register to vote so they can get their voices heard on candidates with whom they believe will find solutions to social, political, economic or foreign issues,” senior Ava Zytko said.

While it is unclear what the results of these Senate races will be, every eligible person can make a difference by voting in November and making their opinions known for who they want to represent them in Washington.

• Who Represents Us in Government

News

Duck Boat Tragedy

• Who Represents Us in Government

News

Marvel Media Backlash

• Who Represents Us in Government

News

Wrong or Right to Work

• Who Represents Us in Government

News

Mineral Discovered Capable of Reducing Carbon Dioxide

• Who Represents Us in Government

News

How to get involved in politics

• Who Represents Us in Government

News

Wedding cake trials

• Who Represents Us in Government

News

Sexual Harassment in Hollywood

• Who Represents Us in Government

News

Barack Obama vs. Donald Trump: First Year Comparisons

• Who Represents Us in Government

News

Progress Towards Unification

• Who Represents Us in Government

News

The Truth behind the Echo: Can they be used to spy on us?

The student publication of Fort Zumwalt West High School
Who Represents Us in Government