Why Read The Solitaire

Read Next...
Chloe Miller

More stories from Chloe Miller

Viewpoint: Episode 2
February 21, 2019
Viewpoint: Episode 1
February 14, 2019

The student newspaper seen in movies and T.V. shows does not depict the real work behind an issue. The Solitaire, Fort Zumwalt West’s very own student publication, is the lesser-known part of the journalism program. Though the newspaper staff and editors try to advertise the paper, the general school public is not as keen to its content.

The newspaper is made for the school public, produced by students for students. The numerous articles are directed toward the reader through content that provides relative information and interactive pieces.

“All of the articles are written by the same staff members, but include [interviews from] other students from each grade and social or academic group,” orchestra teacher Daniel Mieloch said.

Though the term “newspaper” invokes a feeling of seriousness through its analytical writing, The Solitaire at fzwnews.com, offers online interactive pieces such as quizzes and polls. The colors and exciting graphics printed in the paper are also sure to please the student body. In addition, it also has an editorial section for those interested in the perspective of their peers.

“The opinion articles are my favorite pieces because the writers do not shy away from important yet controversial topics,” English teacher Dona Coleman said. “The editorials are well-researched and intelligently written.”

The campus beat in the paper is exactly what the name suggests; it is about what goes on throughout the West campus. It includes changes happening in the school and has features on teachers and classes.

¨Our newspaper really makes a successful attempt to reach and give a voice to the ever growing diverse population of students who attend [the high school],” Coleman said.

The style and entertainment sections are for students looking for a fun read. Style includes fashion tips and trends, and entertainment hosts reviews and popular culture articles.  

¨There have been cases where various businesses, movies and music have been showcased that I never knew and has since been worth my time to check out,” Mieloch said.

It takes around six weeks to produce one issue, and the writers and editors put hours upon hours of work into each issue for the students. The day the newspaper has to be sent to the printer, staff spends the day after the final bell reviewing and editing until it is the best it can be.

“The newspaper has given me opportunities to experience the talent of our newspaper staff at West and how high schoolers can put together a full-fledged newspaper that informed me just as well as a real newspaper would,” senior Alyssa King said.