The student publication of Fort Zumwalt West High School

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

A Shaky Start

7.6 magnitude Earthquake recorded in Japan
Cracking in the ground as a result of the earthquake in Japan.

Central Japan was struck by a 7.6 magnitude earthquake on Jan. 1, 2024, with the earthquake being recorded by the U.S. Geological Survey. This earthquake triggered large waves along Japan’s west coast, causing many people to flee to higher ground. Major tsunami warnings were soon issued, but were later reduced to advisory. This tsunami warning was the first since the earthquake and tsunami of March 2011 which killed nearly 20,000 people, according to reuters.com.

Previously, on Jan. 16, 1995, an earthquake with a powerful magnitude of 7.3 hit central Japan. This devastated the western port city of Kobe and killed more than 6,000 people. On Oct. 23, 2004, a 6.8 magnitude earthquake struck the Niigata region, about 250 km (150 miles) north of Tokyo, killing 65 people and injuring 3,000, according to reuters.com.

The recent earthquake caused high amounts of destruction throughout central Japan. It destroyed buildings, cut power in thousands of homes and killed 241 people, injuring many more. However, these numbers are still rising as more people are found. Army personnel was quickly dispatched to help with rescue operations, saving many lives. The Japanese government ordered more than 97,000 people on the western coast of Honshu, Japan’s main island, to evacuate. They were sent to spend the night in sports halls and school gymnasiums, and most have yet to return to their homes, according to reuters.com.