The student publication of Fort Zumwalt West High School

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

Breaking the Records

How students in athletics go towards achievements
Provided by Coach Haynes
Weightlifting leader board.

Making an achievement like breaking a record can seem impossible in the long run. It is difficult to do and not many people can do it, which is why the record breaker gets recognized when it is completed. This takes a lot of hard work and dedication to even get close to a record breaking number, but imagine actually accomplishing it.

“I was in shock because joining the track team at a late stage and breaking records was really surprising to me,” senior Alexander Jones said. “My work that I had put in was actually paying off.”

Some people might not even have an intention to do anything big. They simply join the activity because they want to or the team needs someone.

“I just tried [pole vaulting] out once because [Coach] Groves needed a filler and I ended up being good at it,” sophomore Jaden Joyce said. “It was fun so I just kept going higher and higher.”

Sports are both physical and mental. Athletes need to know how to physically play the sport but they also need to know the thoughts behind the plays. Knowing how to use both to your advantage can be beneficial to you and your team.

“It is a mindset thing,” Jones said. “You always have to be prepared. You can’t be scared to try out events. The coaches and the team are very welcoming, you are going to have a lot of fun.”

Physical labor still goes along with breaking a record. Most people who put in the efforts to try and reach this have put in some type of physical work.

“Transitioning from sprinting to distance takes a lot of patience and practice,” Jones said. “It is a lot of hard work doing things like endurance training.”

After seeing their work pay off, students may feel the adrenaline rush of this achievement and push themselves to keep trying. With practice and the involvement of what you are trying to do, this can put yourself out there and help you achieve your goals.

“Jones is an athlete that is a returning All-State medalist,” physical education teacher Kollin Groves said. “He is on the verge of breaking the 800 meter run record and is on our school record 4×4 relay team.”