The student publication of Fort Zumwalt West High School

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

Glory Echoes as Gladiator Returns

Ridley Scott’s sequel to the cult classic
Russel Crowe in the original Gladiator movie.
Photo provided by Flickr.com

The much anticipated sequel of the 2000 blockbuster “Gladiator” is set to release Nov. 22. The original film, led by Russel Crowe’s critically acclaimed performance, made a massive mark on cinema, earning over $760 million worldwide and clinching five Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Actor, according to collider.com.

The sequel takes a bold step forward with Paul Mescal, known for his role in “Aftersun,” stepping into the arena as Lucius, the son of Lucilla and nephew of the corrupt emperor Commodus. Connie Nielson, reprising her role as Lucilla, adds a touch of continuity to the legacy cast, connecting the sequel to its predecessor, according to entertainmentweekly.com.

While the plot details are shrouded in secrecy, Ridley Scott’s cast lineup may excite some. Denzel Washington, Matt Lucas and Peter Mensah join the ranks, however their roles are also veiled in mystery. Even the likes of Pedro Pascal, recognized for his work in “The Last of Us” and “The Mandalorian,” are linked with the film, according to cinemablend.com.

One notable change in casting involves Fred Hechinger, who is in negotiations to portray Emperor Geta, a role that was initially given to Barry Keoghan. Scheduling conflicts led to Keoghan’s departure, making way for Hechinger to potentially bring Emperor Geta to life on the big screen, according to collider.com.

The sequel’s plot trajectory remains under wraps, leaving fans to speculate about the fate of characters from the original film. With Maximus and Commodus meeting their demise in the first installment, the chances of their return seem slim, at least in the land of the living. A meeting from the afterlife seems to be a trend in Hollywood as of late.