The student publication of Fort Zumwalt West High School

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

Turn it Off and Turn the Page

Reading from printed books is better than reading virtually
Illustration by Canva Pro

As more and more people are switching to reading their favorite books on a screen, smaller bookstores now have an uncertain future because they are struggling to keep up with the competitive prices and swiftness of online textbook prices.

However, reading paper books is better than reading them off of electronics. Reading this way and being able to hold the book in your hands holds a certain type of comfort for readers. Being able to read this way also allows people to disconnect from the electronics that they use in their everyday life. With 24 hours being in a day, the average person wastes four hours and 37 minutes on their phone or other electronics. Doctors say that everyone should spend the last hour of their day off of their devices. With reading a printed book before going to bed, people can sleep much better, according to turnto10.com.

“If I read a digital book, I’m much more likely to stop reading it and scroll on social media instead,” senior Haven Brinkmeier said. “This kills your attention span and it makes it harder for you to read books in the first place.”

Although, as computers advance, people are finding it much easier to purchase and read their favorite books online. Having the ability to read endless amounts of books at the touch of a button is a very helpful tool that is quickly evolving. Carrying around one or more books can be very tricky. Studies show that reading books off of a screen is actually better for children and helps them comprehend what they are reading better.

The nostalgic feeling comes from when people were very young and began learning from picture books. Evolving from picture books, we began reading books in school, which we still do. Reading printed books can put people into a comforting, safe place.

“The physicality of books carries a nostalgic feeling to me,” Brinkmeier said. “I was always considered a ‘bookworm’ as a kid so there’s this sense of familiarity whenever I get back into reading. The excitement that churns from each page turn is unmatched. You yourself are in the story as the reader and by turning the page, it’s almost like you’re included in the story. It was meant for you to read, meant for you to get lost in. I think that’s a beautiful thing.”

Even though we are advancing in technology, it does not mean that the history of physical books should disappear. Everyone can benefit from sitting down and reading their favorite book at least once a day and just disconnect from everything else going on around them.