The student publication of Fort Zumwalt West High School

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

Underrated and Underappreciated

Classes that are unrecognized for their greatness
Taken by Kota Melton
Marie Jackson talks to her science class

There are a variety of classes in high school for every individual.
When asked about classes that do not get enough love, sophomore Drezden Robertson referred to his experiences in band. Band is a class full of people that may enjoy playing an instrument and expressing themselves through music.

“You make a lot of new friends while having nice experiences with instruments and going to competitions,” Robertson said. “I would definitely recommend this class to someone because you meet a lot of new people.”

Considering the number of classes provided by the school, sophomore Alissa Crabtree mentions Biomedical Science to be a class that is sold short in regards to its greatness. This is a class for students who plan to pursue a career in the medical field to have access to simulated situations that they might encounter in the future.

“Some people don’t want to take it because they think it’s too hard, but it’s really hands-on and you get to do many things to prepare for a potential career choice,” Crabtree said. “A piece of advice I’d give to an interested student would be to just go for it while remembering you have to study a lot.”

Out of her four years of high school, senior Emily Brundt cites Science Fiction and Fantasy as an underappreciated class. Science Fiction and Fantasy is a class where the students read books and papers of the science fiction genre and complete assignments based on what they read.

“I feel like people expect a lot of writing, but in reality, it’s just reading and fun activities you get to do,” Brundt said. “At the end of the year, you get to watch movies and relax after a lot of reading throughout the year.”

When junior Brynn Hanratty was asked about a class she views to be undervalued, she referred to General Psychology. This is for students who are interested in exploring the nature of the human brain and identifying multiple disorders and discussing treatments for them.

“You get taught about the anatomy of the brain and also about what each part does,” Hanratty said. “You learn a lot about mental health and disorders because Mrs. Koch is very thorough with her teaching and strives to teach as much as she can by connecting with the students on a personal level.”