The student publication of Fort Zumwalt West High School

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

Musical Distractions

How students utilize playlists
Photo by Kota Melton
Sophomore Zoe Clark listens to music while reading to help them concentrate during lunch in the library.

Music can be put into different playlists, which can be listened to throughout the day. A playlist can help someone focus on what they are doing or allow them to look back on memories. Music can also remind someone of a specific place or time in their life. Playlists allow students to accomplish a lot of different things, but it may not be the best solution if you cannot multitask.

For some, music can be a distraction while they are listening to the music and trying to pay attention. This can cause them to get confused and make mistakes with the material that they are working on.

“I don’t really like listening to music when I study or read,” freshman Tina Vu said. “I feel like the words just become jumbled.”

Even though having music on while studying does not work for everyone, music can sometimes help students with school work. It allows them to tune everything around them out and give all their attention to their assignments.

“[I listen to music] whenever I’m working on homework or just anything for school,” senior Katelyn Gainer said.

All genres of music can be put into a playlist either together or separately. There are many different playlists that can be made for different purposes. People may add certain types of songs because they want to listen to them during a certain event or topic, or if they want it to be a specific genre. Some people do have different playlists for certain scenarios in their life. One example is when they are driving.

“I listen to music pretty much 24/7, but I think my favorite time to listen to music is definitely whenever I’m driving alone so I can sing,” Gainer said.

Having a playlist can enhance some activities. It can allow an event to keep the attention of the participants while letting the setting fit with the music style in the playlist. A playlist can also alter someone’s thoughts and give them organization of their feelings of an event or scenario.

“I like to group my life into seasons, kind of like a soundtrack,” sophomore Alex O’Toole said. “I [also] have playlists for different areas and genres of my life.”