The Solitaire

A Shift in Power

After the most recent election, power in the House o Representatives has shifted to the Democrats.

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Shift in Power

Senator Josh Hawley won the Missouri Senate race against Incumbent Claire McCaskill by 0.6 percent of the vote.

Tribune News Service/John Sleezer

Tribune News Service/John Sleezer

Tribune News Service/John Sleezer

On Nov. 6th, voters in Missouri headed to the ballots to decide on their future Congress representatives, as well as issues such as the medicinal use of marijuana, raising the minimum wage and bingo. According to time.com, the election on Nov. 6 had the highest voter participation rate for midterms in at least the past 50 years.

“When we prepare to vote, hopefully, we become more knowledgeable about the issues facing the country so it’s a moment that causes us to engage as citizens,” foreign policy teacher Andrew LeFors said.

Missouri ultimately passed four of the seven proposed amendments and propositions on the ballot. A revision to state redistricting, legalization of medical marijuana with a four percent tax, raising the minimum wage in yearly increments to $12 and removing the ban on groups advertising bingo games were all voted in favor of. On a national scale, Democrats won control of the House of Representatives, while Republicans maintained their hold on the Senate.

“The Democrats will have the opportunity to be a “check” on the President,” LeFors said. “[Democrats] have the subpoena power in the House now. We could see more bipartisanship.”

• A Shift in Power

News

A Revolutionary Rover

• A Shift in Power

News

The Attack on News

• A Shift in Power

News

Checking Trump-isms

• A Shift in Power

News

Viewpoint: Episode 2

• A Shift in Power

News

PETA’s New Language

• A Shift in Power

News

Viewpoint: Episode 1

• A Shift in Power

News

America is Closed

• A Shift in Power

News

The Epidemic of the Modern Slave Trade

• A Shift in Power

News

Redoing Recycling

• A Shift in Power

News

Fulfilling Civic Duty

The student publication of Fort Zumwalt West High School
A Shift in Power