The student publication of Fort Zumwalt West High School

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

Revolutionizing Entertainment

SAG-AFTRA and Studios seal game-changing deal
Myung J. Chun / Los Angeles Times / TNS
LOS ANGELES, CA – JULY 14: SAG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher, white cap front, and National Executive Director and Chief Negotiator Duncan Crabtree-Ireland, left, greet picketers at the Netflix picket line in Los Angeles, CA on Friday, July 14, 2023. Actors join striking writers who have been on the picket lines since the beginning of May.

In a groundbreaking move, the Screen Actors Guild – American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) and studio executives have hammered out a temporary agreement that charts the course for the entertainment industry’s next chapter. The agreement, divided into key sections, consists of a strategic plan tackling critical aspects of the industry, from wages and artificial intelligence to streaming bonuses, residuals and the welfare of performers, according to deadline.com.

Scope, Terms and Wages
This section lays the groundwork of the deal, detailing the terms for successor agreements to the 2020 Producer-SAG-AFTRA Codified Basic Agreement and 2020 SAG-AFTRA Television Agreement. Covering movies and television shows for various platforms, the agreements run from Nov. 9, 2023, to June 30, 2026. The wage structure, marked by gradual increases, shows a commitment to fair pay and spells out conditions for penalties, allowances and working conditions.

Artificial Intelligence
This section introduces rules on artificial intelligence, focusing on creating and using digital copies of performers and other digital replicas. Stressing the importance of human performance, the agreement sets conditions for consent, pay, and residual payments. It also dives into generative artificial intelligence (GAI) and synthetic performers, highlighting teamwork between producers and unions, performer consent, and ongoing talks on GAI use.

Streaming and Distribution Fund
This crucial section brings in streaming bonuses for high budget subscription video on demand (SVOD) programs, tying success payments to domestic subscribers. The distribution of bonuses, along with a Streaming Payment Distribution Fund, ensures fair and clear sharing of resources, benefiting performers and encouraging industry growth.

Residuals
The residuals section reveals changes in advance payment thresholds, crediting structures and percentages for ongoing exhibitions on the initial release SVOD platform. These changes show a proactive approach to adapting to the changing world of television and new media, making sure residuals keep up with the evolving landscape.

Casting
Focusing on self-tape and virtual interviews/auditions, the casting regulations section introduces provisions for script considerations, compensation details and dispute resolution mechanisms. Emphasizing fairness and inclusivity, the agreement stops preferential treatment based on fees paid during general casting calls.

Pension and Health
The pension & health section brings in increases in contribution ceilings, showing a commitment to the well-being of performers. A joint study further explores ways to shift contributions between the SAG Pension Plan and the AFTRA Retirement Fund, ensuring a dynamic approach to pension and health benefits.

Performance Capture
Navigating the world of performance capture services, this section sets conditions for when such services qualify as covered work. Addressing issues like consecutive employment, compensation, and detailed regulations on motion and reference capture, the agreement ensures clarity and fairness for performers in performance capture.

Schedule Fairness (with schedule breaks)
Amending schedule break figures for various categories, including movies and television shows, this section shows a commitment to fair pay and updated industry standards. Notably, increases in schedule break figures for deal performers contribute to a more balanced and fair framework.

Stunt Coordinators
In a shift from the past, the stunt coordinators section introduces fixed residuals, bringing in predictability and fairness. The provisions address scheduling concerns, turnaround periods and timely payment processes, creating a healthier work environment for stunt coordinators.

Singers
Recognizing the unique contributions of singers, this section introduces a specific vocal contractor fee, providing clarity and transparency in compensation. Additional provisions for singers required to dance highlight the diverse skill set they bring to productions, and align compensation to their roles.

Dancers
Simplifying compensation structures, the dancers section removes the separate rehearsal rate, ensuring fair pay. Additional compensation for dancers required to sing or lip-sync acknowledges the expanded scope of their roles. Provisions for warm-up/holding room access underscores the commitment to dancers’ well-being in the production process.

In its entirety, the agreement is a detailed and nuanced collaboration between SAG-AFTRA and studio executives, navigating the complex landscape of AI, digital replicas, streaming and the diverse needs of performers. As the entertainment industry evolves, this agreement sets a precedent for adaptability and fairness, ensuring a vibrant and sustainable future for all stakeholders.