The student publication of Fort Zumwalt West High School

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

The Solitaire

Putting on a Show

Behind the curtains of dramatic expressions
Senior Oliva Lumma stands behind the cauldron, pondering the orb.

In the world of the Drama Department’s Fall One Act plays (Please Don’t Be My Drama Teacher, One-Word Macbeth, Abra Cadaver, The New Margo), creativity finds its voice and unity takes center stage. These productions are more than just performances; they are transformative journeys, shaping the actors involved. Through the insights of those deeply involved, the significance of these plays becomes evident, painting a vibrant picture of artistic exploration.

Within the intricate characters, the Fall One Acts become a canvas for emotional exploration. Actors grapple with complexities, inviting the audience into a world of profound depth and understanding. This journey extends backstage, where the magic of the character truly comes to life.

“I think that ‘The New Margo’ has a lot of psychological aspects that we haven’t seen in many shows before,” senior Addison Keith said. “It’s even really exciting for the actors because this is the first time where I can really analyze the script and have double meanings.”

Behind every performance is a team of dedicated individuals blending the diverse ideas into a harmonious whole. Respectful collaboration becomes the backbone of the plays, shaping narratives that resonate deeply with the audience.

“I have to get a lot of people to work together, even if they don’t have similar ideas,” senior Maddie Wolff said. “I have to manage people and just figure out the best way to collaborate with everyone involved.”

The One Act plays are a celebration of individuality within a collective effort. This freedom of expression defines the soul of these productions. Actors infuse characters with personal flair, enriching the narrative and creating a tapestry of diverse talents, technicians work with them to accentuate those talents while student directors get to be involved with both sides.

“Most of the time, you are either an actor or technician,” senior student director Autumn Beck said. “Actors focus on the acting side and technicians focus on the tech side. Being a student director means I have to be involved in both. I need to direct the actors in what needs to be done performance wise and I need to be able to help technicians understand the technical vision of the show.”

The plays are not merely about scripts and rehearsals; they are a celebration of friendship. In every shared laughter and challenging rehearsal, lifelong connections are forged. The sense of togetherness propels each participant, creating performances that are more than the sum of their parts.

“It’s my after-school thing with all of my friends and the vast majority of people in the club are very nice,” Wolff said.

These productions are a legacy, a testament to the power of exploration, teamwork and friendship. Beyond the stage, they leave an inerasable mark, inspiring younger actors to join, ensuring that the spirit of creativity and unity moves on after the shows.

“I feel like I’m running by the phrase ‘leave it all on the stage,’” Keith said. “This is probably one of my last times acting in a dramatic play, so I just really want to do my best and give it my all for my last show.”