The Solitaire

Dance Team National Title

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dance Team National Title

Photo provided by Lauren Seurer

Photo provided by Lauren Seurer

Photo provided by Lauren Seurer

Photo provided by Lauren Seurer

The varsity dance team departed for their annual trip to Disney World to compete at the UDA National Dance Team Championship on Thursday, February 1st. For the past two years, the team has accomplished something they never had before in each competition. In 2016, they got second in hip-hop. In 2017, they made it to the final ten in both jazz and hip-hop. However, in 2018 is when they would have their biggest achievement of all.

At 7:30 p.m. on February 4, 2018, Fort Zumwalt West history was made. As each team was given their placing for hip-hop, the anticipation rose. When second place was announced, Collierville High School, the West high girls knew they had won their first ever national award, and they could not hold back their excitement.

“I cannot even describe the feeling of not hearing our name called for second place,” junior Mallory Rodell said. “Usually, you are not supposed to celebrate, you’re supposed to let the other team celebrate, but we could not contain our excitement. I immediately dropped to the floor and started bawling. There is no greater feeling. [There are] not enough words to describe that moment.”

I cannot even describe the feeling of not hearing our name called for second place. Usually, you are not supposed to celebrate, you’re supposed to let the other team celebrate, but we could not contain our excitement. I immediately dropped to the floor and started bawling. There is no greater feeling. [There are] not enough words to describe that moment.”

— Junior Mallory Rodell said

The hard work that the dancers had tirelessly put in throughout the entire season had finally paid off. The hashtag created by the team earlier this summer, #TdubC, served as a motto for them throughout the entirety of the year. It remained a secret to all non-dancers until now and was finally revealed to mean “together we can”. The end goal was to focus at each practice and rep, because they knew they had the necessary skills and drive.

“Our mindset throughout the season has been that we know that we are capable of winning the title, so we just need to go out there and prove that we are the team that deserves it,” freshman Lauren Seurer said.

As some seniors prepare to pass the torch on to the juniors and underclassmen behind them, they are already preparing for how they are going to get back to the finals again next year and what the next step is on their trail to further success.

“Personally, my next step with next year being my senior year is to lead my team to another great season,” Rodell said.

Photo provided by Lauren Seurer

This is one of the most decorated dance teams that the school has ever seen, and there is no doubt that the accolades will continue to follow. This was one of the final competitions for the team, and the seniors’ final performance under the West guise will be at the variety show in the spring.

• Dance Team National Title

Campus

Humans of West

• Dance Team National Title

Campus

Senior Spirit Week Review

• Dance Team National Title

Sports

The Leaders of FZW

• Dance Team National Title

Sports

The Podcast

• Dance Team National Title

Campus

A Green Initiative

• Dance Team National Title

Style

First Day Fashion

• Dance Team National Title

Campus

Sibling’s First Day

• Dance Team National Title

News

Mineral Discovered Capable of Reducing Carbon Dioxide

• Dance Team National Title

Sports

One Gym Two Genders

• Dance Team National Title

Campus

Block Schedule Change

The student publication of Fort Zumwalt West High School
Dance Team National Title