Donald Trump’s Impeachment For Dummies

A simplified impeachment overview


Kassi Jackson and Courant file photos

Three years ago, on Jan. 21, 2017, hundreds of thousands of women from across the nation marched through the streets of Washington, D.C., in a powerful display of activism following the inauguration of President Donald Trump. Marches were also held in cities across the world that year, including one at the state Capitol in Hartford, which drew about 10,000 people. Similar gatherings were held in 2018. Last year, the group called Womenu2019s March Connecticut drew nearly 3,000 people to the state Capitol.nAnd while activists in pink hats again marched in Washington and New York this past weekend, there were no women’s march in Connecticut this year. Instead, local organizers held a series of press conferences Saturday throughout the state on a variety of topics. Womenu2019s March Connecticut said, this year, they’re turning away from one day of mobilization and toward other priorities, such as electing more women to government positions. “Itu2019s an evolution of strategy, not of focus but of techniques,” emphasized Sarah Raskin, an organizer with the Connecticut branch of the Womenu2019s March. Visit the link in bio to read more about the evolution of the Women’s March movement.

Timeline of events are according to

A fact of life: Americans do not understand impeachment. In a poll given by, less than 30% of Americans could define the term, but 54% claimed they understood the word. That leaves 46% of Americans confused. What is happening to President Donald Trump?

In order to understand Donald Trump’s impeachment, we must understand what is going on.

The root of the problem began in 2014 with Joe Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, announcing he would be assisting the Ukranian gas company Burisma. This leads to Trump pledging to donate over $250 million in aid to Ukraine during the start of his presidency in 2018, nearly four years later.

However, something did not sit right with President Trump. In an interview with The New York Times taking place in May 2019, Trump’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani stated Trump had a plan to meet with Ukranian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy to talk out Hunter Biden’s involvement with Burisma.

After an investigation shortly after, there had been no evidence of wrongdoing, according to Yuriy Lutsenko, former Ukrainian Prosecutor General, who told Bloomberg News no laws have been violated.

On July 25, 2019, Donald Trump called Zelenskiy to congratulate him on winning the presidency overseas. During the phone call, he suggested to Zelenskiy that he should further investigate Biden’s involvement in Ukraine for corruption. This is all according to notes released by the Whitehouse in July 2019.

Michael Atkinson, Inspector General of the Intelligence Community, alerts the House Intelligence Committee, headed by Representative Adam Schiff, of the existence of a whistleblower complaint. House committees requested that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo release all the documents that have to do with the Trump administration’s involvement with Ukraine.

Nancy Pelosi, the Speaker of the House, announces a formal impeachment investigation into Donald Trump, in September 2019.

“The actions of the Trump presidency revealed the dishonorable fact of the president’s betrayal of his oath of office, betrayal of our national security and betrayal of the integrity of our elections,” Pelosi said

So, what does an official impeachment inquiry mean for the President, and why is there an inquiry in the first place?

Trump pushed the president of Ukraine to investigate Joe Biden and his son for wrongdoing, according to Nancy Pelosi orders Congress to draw up articles of impeachment against the president for ‘abusing power for his personal benefit,’ according to

Now that it is explained why Donald Trump is facing impeachment, the process, in itself, can be understood. It starts with an investigation in the House of Representatives. If everyone votes in favor according to the articles of impeachment, it is sent to the Senate. The Senate holds a trial. In the trial, members of the house make and hold a case against the President, and it is overseen by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

Currently, the Senate is majority Republican, so there is a leaning chance the impeachment inquiry against President Trump will be dismissed at the level of the Senate. However, this level has not been reached yet. Nancy Pelosi and the house are still drafting the articles of impeachment.

Whether or not Donald Trump will be impeached, the 2020 election is coming up. It is unlikely the inquiry could carry out past his presidency. Regardless of an investigation, it is likely that Donald Trump will still carry power in office.